Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I wish this was my self portrait tuesday




A couple things;
1. Thanks so much Lisa (from O-town) for the wonderful package! She sent me fabric, handmade cards, cute magnets, and a few other goodies. I am so lucky, two swaps in one week. Aren't the little trees so cute? Check out Lisa's art by going through her bolg-Lisa's Musing (link is on the side). The little robot is hers-isn't it beautiful?
2. I am working on the camera thing. For proof that I actually CAN sew you can look here.
3. My grandma June is pictured above in lieu of my self portrait. In a way, I feel as though she is a part of me. She died of cancer in 1972-ten years before I was born. I was born on her birthday so maybe she IS part of me. That year was the year my mother's mother and my mother's father also passed away. It is the year my mother converted to Mormonism (and my dad re-converted) and the year my sister Jana (my parent's 3rd daughter) was born. In that year, my parents bought the house they live in today. My mom was 25. I am 23, and the thought of that all happening at once makes me want to crawl in a hole and hide. I wish I could have known my grandparents. I feel like it is an important part of understanding your parents. I only briefly knew my dad's dad, but by the time I was born-he was deep in the grasp of alcholism. My heart breaks for my dad, I cannot imagine what it would be like to have an alcholic parent. I now understand why it was so important for him to stress complete sobreity. I wonder what my grandma June felt about it. I wonder if she would like me-you know? Would she be proud, would she have doted on me, taught me to sew or how to properly clean? Would she have approved of my short hair and complete fear of makeup? If I have kids-they most know my parents.

6 Comments:

Anonymous mom said...

Abby, You are so awesome! Grandma June would teach you how to clean. She was great at it. It was her thing.She would have Dad and Uncle Pat all cleaned up and sitting on the couch when Grandpa came home from work. She would clean before the cleaning lady came. She also loved to serve others. She always remembered everyones birthday and made sure they had a b'card. Everyone thought they were her best friend. She would get up early in the morning before grandpa and fix her hair and have her makeup on before he would get up.I'm sure she is very proud of you and knows whats going on with you. We just got two boxes of old Powell photos andletters. Wish you were here to go thru them with me. You would love them. Love you Mom

4:09 PM  
Blogger lisa s said...

abby - thanks for the props! :) i hope you like round 2 as much!

i love what your mom says to you.... i'm sure that there is a bit of your grandma in you!

can't wait for you to have a camera!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl-what a sweetie pie you are. I often think of G-ma June too-but you are right in a way. You must have special sort of bond to her, seeing as you share b-days. Really. There is something to that, even if you don't believe in astology stuff, I think it changes the way you think about your grandmother if you've grown up knowing you share birthdays-and thus a bond forms. You know what I mean? It was sooooo nice to chat on Friday. Hope you are great.
Heart.
Cass

12:40 PM  
Blogger molly said...

abby, this was such a sweet post. I love your thoughts and questions about your grandmother. It seems like the older I get the more I appreciate my grandparents. I wish I could sit with them, and hear stories, and know what they know, learn from them...my grandfather passed away this year and took with him lots of stories and wisdom that no one heard. My dad's side of the family tends to be very private and so all these amazing stories are lost...my gr.father was a war hero, a philanthropist, an extremely successul business man...anyway...thanks for this post. These things are always good to reflect upon.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous jenny vorwaller said...

abby,

this is a beautiful portrait and the story that is behind is even better! :O thanks for sharing~do you like like her? (lucky if you do, she's stunning!)

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Self portrait-nieces & nephews shows you have your grandmothers smile and that makeup should be afraid of you.....you don't need it.
Lesa

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home